Dr. Dhananjay Mondal Profile
Dr. Dhananjoy Mondal
SCHOOL OF CHEMICAL SCIENCES.
Tel: 07923260210 (Off)
- Ph.D. in Synthetic Organic Chemistry, National Chemical Laboratory, Pune, India.
- M.Sc. in Organic Chemistry ,University of Burdwan, West Bengal, India.
- B.Sc. in Chemistry (Hons.),University of Burdwan, West Bengal, India.
- Total synthesis of bioactive natural products
- Synthesis of bioactive organic Nano materials
- New methodology based biologically active molecules
- Peptidomimetics/ionic liquids
Teaching and Research Experiences:
2011 to present:
Assistant Professor, School of Chemical Sciences, Central University of Gujarat ,Gandhinagar, Gujarat, India.
- Teaching in M.Sc. in Chemical Sciences and Industrial Chemistry & M.Phil./Ph.D. in Chemical Sciences.
- Laboratory based experiments: Organic/Inorganic Practical in M.Sc. courses
Stereochemistry, Carbohydrate chemistry, Reagent chemistry, Name reaction, Enzymatic chemistry, Paper and pulp, Textile chemistry, Fundamental of Nanosciences, Preparation of Nanoparticles, Research methodology, Paint and coating, Peptide chemistry, Protecting group chemistry, Spectroscopy: NMR, MS, IR and UV, Petroleum chemistry, Reaction mechanisms, Green Chemistry, Organometallic chemistry
M.Phil/Ph.D. Research Guided
- M.Phil. Students-4
- Master Students-4
Postdoctoral/ Doctoral Experiences:
Postdoctoral Research Associate, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, NY, USA Advisor: Prof. Ravi S. Kane
Duties: Synthesis of cyclodextrin, and poly-L-glutamic acid based polyvalent inhibitors for anthrax toxin, and photoactive carbon nanotube (CNT)-porphyrin conjugates as antibacterial and anti-viral agents.
Postdoctoral Research Associate, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada Advisor: Prof. Frank Schweizer
Duties: Synthesis of carbohydrate-templated amino acids, glyco-peptidomimetics, C-glycosides.
Doctoral study, National Chemical Laboratory, Pune, India.
Advisor: Dr. M. K. Gurjar
Duties: Synthesis of spiro β-lactone-γ-lactam, and epi-spiro β-lactone segment of new class of antibiotic oxazolomycins, anti-HIV agents litseaverticillols C and K, 3-hydroxy-4-methylprolines (HMPs) and clay mediated hydrolysis of isopropylidene and cyclohexylidene nucleosides.
- B. Chatterjee, S. Bera, and Dhananjoy Mondal, Application of Julia-Kocienski reaction for the preparation of macrolactone core, Tetrahedron: Asymmetry 2014, 25, 1-55.
- Dhananjoy Mondal and, S. Bera Porphyrin and phthalocyanine-based light triggered antibacterial nanoparticles, Adv. Nat. Sci.: Nanosci. Nanotechnol., 2014, 5, 033002 (14pp).
- S. Bera, Dhananjoy Mondal, M. Singh and R. K. Kale, Advancement of serinals in asymmetric synthesis, Tetrahedron, 2013, 69, 969.
- B. Chatterjee, Dhananjoy Mondal, and S. Bera, Synthetic approach towards 6-epi-12-membered macrolactone core of amphidinolide W via ring closing metathesis reaction, Tetrahedron: Asymmetry, 2012, 23, 1170.
- I. Banerjee, M. P. Douaisi, Dhananjoy Mondal and R. S. Kane; Light-activated nanotube–porphyrin conjugates as effective antiviral agents Nanotechnology 2012, 23, 105101.
- Dhananjoy Mondal, and S. Bera. A convenient method for the preparation of trisubstituted olefin, 2014, (Communicated)
- S. Bera and Dhananjoy Mondal, Role of Ultrasound as a green technology in carbohydrate chemistry, 2014 (Communicated).
- S. Palit, S. Bera, Dhananjoy Mondal, Man Singh, Synthesis of indazole based ionic liquids and its applications, 2014 (Communicated).
- Dhananjoy Mondal, F. Schweizer; Synthesis and antibacterial properties of carbohydrate-templated lysine surfactants Carbohydrate Research 2011, 346, 588.
- A. Joshi, S. Kate, V. Poon, Dhananjoy Mondal, M. Boggara, A. Saraph, J. Martin, R. McAlpine, R. Day, A.Garcia, J. Mogridge, R. S. Kane; "Structure-based Design of a Heptavalent Anthrax Toxin Inhibitor" Biomacromolecules 2011, 12, 791.
- I. Banerjee, Dhananjoy Mondal, J. Martin and R. S. Kane; Photo-activated Antimicrobial Activity of Carbon Nanotube-Porphyrin Conjugates, Langmuir, 2010, 26, 17369.
- Dhananjoy Mondal, and S. Bera; A Synthetic View of an Analogue of the Spiro-β-lactone-γ-lactam Ring in Oxazolomycins and Lajollamycin Synthesis 2010, 2010, 3301.
- Dhananjoy Mondal, F. Schweizer; Synthesis of allose-templated hydroxyornithine and hydroxyarginine analogs Carbohydrate Research 2010, 345, 1533.
- Dhananjoy Mondal and F. Schweizer; Alkylations and conjugate additions of a galactose-based β-keto ester enolate and conversion into β-C-galactosides Synlett 2008, 2475.
- K. Zhang, Dhananjoy Mondal, G. Zhanel, F. Schweizer; Synthesis of glucose-templated lysine analogs and incorporation into the antimicrobial dipeptide sequence kW-OBn Carbohydrate Research 2008, 343, 1644.
- S. Palit, S. Bera, Dhananjoy Mondal, Man Singh, Synthesis of indazole based ionic liquids and its applications, 2014 (Communicated). 16. D. K. Mohapatra, Dhananjoy Mondal and M. K. Gurjar; Towards the enantioseletive synthesis of anti-HIV agents litseaverticillols C and K from D-glucose Tetrahedron 2007, 63, 2613.
- D. K. Mohapatra, Dhananjoy Mondal, R. G. Gonnade, M. S. Chorghade and M. K. Gurjar; Synthesis of the spiro fused β-lactone-γ-lactam segment of oxazolomycin Tetrahedron Letter 2006, 47, 6031.
- D. K. Mohapatra, Dhananjoy Mondal, M. S. Chorghade and M. K. Gurjar; General strategy for a short and efficient synthesis of 3-hydroxy-4-methylprolines (HMP). Tetrahedron Letter 2006, 47, 9215.
- M. K. Gurjar, Dhananjoy Mondal, S. V. Ravindranadh and M. S. Chorghade; Clay-mediated selective hydrolysis of 5´-O-acetyl-2´,3´-isopropylidene/ cyclohexylidene nucleosides, Syn. Comm. 2006, 36, 2321.
- S. Bera and Dhananjoy Mondal; A review article ‘Asymmetric Synthesis’, in the book “Encyclopedia of Physical Organic Chemistry” 2014, Vol III, edited by Prof. Zerong Wang. Wiley publishing company
- S. Bera and Dhananjoy Mondal; A review article ‘Recent approaches toward the synthesis of substituted hexahydro-1H-pyrrolizidine derivatives in the book “Modern approaches to the synthesis of O- and N-heterocycles” 2007, 3, 145-210, edited by Dr. Teodoro S. Kaufman and Dr. Enrique L. Larghi.
International Conference Proceedings:
Chiral Ionic liquids in Asymmetric Synthesis, S. Palit, S. Bera, Dhananjoy Mondal, and Man Singh. Springer, 2014. Proceedings of the International Conference on Emerging Trends in Chemical sciences (ICETCS), School of Chemical Sciences, Central University of Gujarat, Gandhinagar, 2013, Gujarat, India.
Reviewer for Ph.D. and M.Phil. Thesis
- External Examiner of Ph.D. thesis on Nano Chemistry
- Reviewed M.Phil. thesis (4)
Awards and Honors
- 2002: Senior Research Fellowship: Awarded by the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), Government of India
- 2000: Junior Research Fellowship: Awarded by the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), Government of India
- 2000: Qualified Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering, Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Government of India
- S.K. Memorial lecture Award of INSA (Indian National Science and Academy) 2012, by Prof. Sudhir K. Sopory, Central University of Gujarat, Gandhinagar, 2014, Gujarat, India (attended). Food Security: Role of Biotechnology.
- Multivalent Biomacromolecular Conjugates for Pathogen Inhibition; 2013 AIChE Annual Meeting: Global Challenges for Engineering a Sustainable Future, Hilton San Francisco Union Square, San Francisco, CA, November 3-8, 2013
- International Conference on Emerging Trends in Chemical sciences, School of Chemical Sciences, Central University of Gujarat, Gandhinagar, 14-15th March, 2013, Gujarat, India.
- International Conference on Recent Advances in Cancer Research: Bench to Bedside, School of Life Sciences, Central University of Gujarat, Gandhinagar, 2012, Gujarat, India (Meeting attended).
- Photo-Activated Antibacterial and Antiviral Activity of Porphyrin-Conjugated Multiwalled Carbon Nanotubes, 2011 AIChE Annual Meeting, Minneapolis, Minnesota, CA, October 16-21, 2011.
- Talk on “Who makes the learning in chemistry a most interesting and student’s friendly science?” in one day Workshop on “Titration-Chemistry and Semimicro Device” for PG Teachers of Chemistry, Kendriya Vidyalaya on 22nd Sep 2011.
- Talk on “Application of Borosil Mansingh Survisemeter” in University-Industry Joint Venture Initiative for Growth of Science for Society at Central University of Gujarat 14-15th Nov 2011.
- Talk on “Design, Synthesis and Characterization of Polyvalent Inhibitors for Anthrax Toxin” in National Science Day (NSD) at Central University of Gujarat, Gandhinagar – 382 030, Gujarat, India, 28th Feb 2011
- Participated in the 239th ACS Fall National Meeting & Exposition, July 20-26, 2010, Boston, MA, USA
- Poster presentation on Title: Synthesis and Solubility Optimization of a Polyvalent Inhibitor of the Anthrax Toxin. M. Takieddin, C. Chen, D. Mondal, J. Mogridge, R. S. Kane, S. A. Mousa; 2010 AAPS (American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists) Annual Meeting and Exposition 14-18 November, 2010, Morial Convention Center, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
- Poster presentation on Title: Synthesis, Characterization, and Solubility of Polyvalent Inhibitors of the Anthrax Toxin, Majde Takieddin, Dhananjoy Mondal, Jeremy Mogridge, Ravi Kane, Shaker A. Mousa; 2009 AAPS (American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists) Annual Meeting and Exposition November 8-12, 2009 in Los Angeles, California, USA
- Participated in the 238th ACS Fall National Meeting & Exposition, August 16-20, 2009, Washington, DC, USA
- Oral presentation on Use of carbohydrate-based β-keto esters as C-glycosyl donors at 90th Canadian Chemistry Conference and Exhibition in Winnipeg, Manitoba, May 26-30, 2007, Canada
- Participated in the IUPAC international conference on Biodiversity and Natural products: Chemistry and Medical application by the department of chemistry; The University of Delhi, and CSIR during January 26-31, 2004, New Delhi, India
Member of the Canadian Society for Chemistry (CSC)