Dr. Atanu Bhattacharya Profile
Dr. Atanu Bhattacharya
Dean, Professor & Chairperson
Centre for English Studies
SCHOOL OF LANGUAGE, LITERATURE AND CULTURE STUDIES
Email Id: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact:+91 92271 60619
- 2006 : MA in ELT and Multimedia, University of Warwick, UK
- 2005 : PhD in English, Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), New Delhi, India
- The Mythotemporal Disjunction: A Study in the Structure of Indian Myths
- 1997 : M.Phil in English, JNU, New Delhi, India
- The Apocalyptic Past: Puritan Theology and Narrative Strategies in Selected Texts of Hawthorne and Melville
- 1995 : MA in English, JNU, New Delhi, India
- 1993 : BA in English (Honours), Calcutta University, Kolkata, India
- 2011 : Exploring Web 2.0 Tools for Classroom Teaching and Professional Development (30 Professional Development Hours), Lewis and Clark College, USA
- 2011 : Ten-week online teacher-training course in Building Teaching Skills through the Interactive Web, University of Oregon, USA
- 2009 : Ten-week online teacher-training course in Critical Thinking Skills, American English Institute, University of Oregon, USA
- 2008 : Three-credit Graduate Course on English as a Foreign Language/ English as a Second Language Assessment, Indiana University, USA
- 2016 - Professor and Chairperson, Centre for English Studies, School of Language, Literature and Culture Studies, Central University of Gujarat, Gandhinagar, India
- Aug 2012 - 2016 Associate Professor, Centre for English Studies, School of Language, Literature and Culture Studies, Central University of Gujarat, Gandhinagar, India
- 1998 - Aug 2012 Assistant Professor, H M Patel Institute of English Training and Research, Vallabh Vidyanagar, Gujarat, India
- 2003- 2010 Examiner for Speaking and Writing Modules, IELTS, India and Nepal
- 1998 Ad-hoc Lecturer, Motilal Nehru College, New Delhi, India
- 1998 Teaching Assistant, Centre for Linguistics and English, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, India
- 1996 Teaching Assistant, Centre of Linguistics and English, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, India
Chapters in Books
Using Multimedia in the Classroom [Teachers Handbook Series](Forthcoming). (Series Editor Geetha Durairajan) Cambridge University Press: Cambridge
Chapters in Books
- "Institutional Discourses, Technology-mediated Practices and Pedagogy: A Critical Perspective". English Paradigm in India: Essays in Language, Literature and Culture. Eds. Shweta Rao Garg and Deepti Gupta. Basingstoke, UK: Palgrave MacMillan (Forthcoming, 2017)
- "Dialoguing the Web: Digital Technologies and Pedagogy". Bakhtinian Explorations of Indian Texts, Culture and Society: Pluralism and Dialogue through History. Eds. Lakshmi Bandlamudi and E.V. Ramakrishnan. Springer (Forthcoming, 2017)
- "The technological gaze and re-inscription of the self: Manjula Padmanabhan's Harvest and Mahesh Dattani's Tara". Representation and Resistance: Essays on Postcolonial Theatre and Drama. Eds. Gourhari Behera and Sunita Murmu. New Delhi: Adhyayan Books, 2015. 103-120.
- "Testing, the Testy Topic: using multimedia for evaluation with special reference to Hot Potatoes". ICT and English Language Teaching: challenges and innovations. Ed.Ashok K Saini. Jaipur: Yking Books, 2011. 64-75.
- "The Technology Rhizome: digitisation and pedagogy". Teaching of English. Ed. Ashok K. Saini. New Delhi: APH Pub. & Dist, 2011. 61-80.
- "The Centre Writes Back: some reflections on diaspora, hybridity and Monica Alis Brick Lane". Contextualising Nationalism, Transnationalism and Indian Diaspora. Ed. Adesh Pal. New Delhi: Creative Books, 2005. 101-109.
- "Narrative as Epistemology in the Brahmana Texts". Indian Knowledge Systems (Vol II) Eds. K. Kapoor and A.K. Singh. Shimla and New Delhi: Indian Institute of Advanced Study and D K Printworld, 2005. 528-534.
- "Everything is There: Relocating the Diasporic Space in Jhumpa Lahiris Interpreter of Maladies". Interpreting Indian Diasporic Experience. Eds. Adesh Pal and Tapas Chakrabarti. New Delhi: Creative Books, 2004. 141-150.
- "Decolonisation: A Shift to Pluralities". Decolonisation: A search for alternatives. Eds. A. Pal, A. Nagar and T. Chakraborty. New Delhi: Creative Books, 2001. 190-99.
- "The Insectesimal Tall-tale: Historical Catachresis and Ethics in the SF of Premendra Mitra". Journal of Postcolonial Writing. Taylor and Francis. (Forthcoming)
- "Reading Skills: Is it required for technical education?". International Journal of Humanities in Technical Education 1/1, 2015. 82-90.
- "Own Maps/ Imagined Terrain: Emergence of Science Fiction in India". Extrapolation 55/3 (Winter). Liverpool University Press, 2014. 277-297. (doi:10.3828/extr.2014.16)
- Simpson, J. Bhattacharya,A., Badger,R., Kaufhold,K., Dyer,C., and Shah, S., "Mobigam: Language on the Move in Gujarat",ELT Research, 29(2). IATEFL, 2014. 19-22.
- Simpson,J.,Badger,R., Bhattacharya,A., and Shah, S., "Language on the Move in Gujarat". IATEFL 2013: Liverpool Conference Selections: 178-180.
- Bhattacharya,A., and Trivedi,M., "Sign of the Times: (Re)locating Karnad, Tendulkar and Tanvir", Journal of the School of Language, Literature and Culture Studies (JNU), Summer 2013. Pencraft International, 2013. 32-42.
- "Augmenting learner autonomy through blogging" (2010) ELT Journal 64(4). Oxford University Press, 2010. 376-384 (doi:10.1093/elt/ccq002)
- "A Note on Pedagogy: Gijubhai Badhekas Divasvapna, historical revisions and narrative as intervention". Language Forum 30/2. Bahri Publications, 2005. 47-58
- "The Dialectics of Praxis and Gnosis: Gayatri Chakravorty Spivaks translation of Mahasweta Devis stories" . Creative Forum: Journal of Literary and Critical Writings 17/1. Bahri Publications, 2004. 19-31
- English (First Language) Std. XII (2016). Gujarat State Board of School Textbooks, Gandhinagar, Gujarat, India
- English (First Language) Std. XII (2005). Gujarat State Board of School Textbooks, Gandhinagar, Gujarat, India
- English (First Language) Std. XI (2004). Gujarat State Board of School Textbooks, Gandhinagar, Gujarat, India
- Aspects of Language. MA in English (1998). Indira Gandhi National Open University: New Delhi (2007 Reprint), India
- English Studies in India. MA in English (1998). Indira Gandhi National Open University: New Delhi (2007 Reprint), India
- (from Urdu) Self-obituary by Joginder Paul. (1998) In K. Ramachandra (ed) Sleepwalkers. Katha: New Delhi
- (from Urdu) The Unit by Salim Agha Qazilbash. (1998) In S. P. Kumar and M.A. Siddiqui (eds.) Mapping Memories: Urdu stories from India and Pakistan. Katha: New Delhi
- ICTs and Development: A Study of Telecentres in Rural India, by Maitrayee Mukerji (2013, Palgrave McMillan)]. International Journal of Rural Management, 10/1, 87-89. doi: 10.1177/0973005214526500
RESEARCH PROJECTS / GRANTS
Mobile technologies for language learning in rural India (October 2012-September 2013) British Academy International Partnership and Mobility Scheme [Value: GBP 10000]
A survey of the use of web tools among undergraduate teachers of English in Gujarat' (June 2011-March 2012) University Grants Commission [Value: INR 63,000]
Creating Language Education and Testing Scheme (September 2011-September 2012) Sardar Patel University [Value: INR 700,000]
INVITED COURSES TAUGHT AT OTHER INSTITUTIONS
- Introduction to Semiotics, National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India 2009- 2011
- Introduction to Indian Culture, National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India 2004-2011
- Aesthetics, National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India, July 2010
- Introduction to Theatre, National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India 2008-2012
PROFESSIONAL AND ACADEMIC AFFILIATIONS
- 2007-2012. Editor, (with Dr. Rajendrasinh Jadeja). ELT Quarterly. ISSN 0975 0258
- Life Member, Indian Association for Commonwealth Literature and Language Studies (IACLALS)
- Member, Indian Association for Canadian Studies
- Member, International Association for Teachers of English as a Foreign Language (IATEFL), UK
- Donor Member, English Language Teachers Association of India, Chennai
PROFESSIONAL AWARDS / SCHOLARSHIPS
- 2012 IATEFL Ray Tongue Scholarship for Speakers at IATEFL Annual Conference and Exhibition, Glasgow, Scotland, UK
- 2010 UGC Research Associateship, Indian Institute of Advanced Study, Shimla, India
- 2009 Regional English Language Office, US Embassy Scholarship for 'Critical thinking Skills: E-teacher course', University of Oregon, USA
- 2008 Regional English Language Office, US Embassy Scholarship for 'English as a Foreign Language/ English as a Second Language Assessment', Indiana University, USA
- 2005 British Council-Hornby Trust Scholarship for MA in 'ELT and Multimedia', University of Warwick, UK
- 2004 National Teacher Educator Award for Innovative Practice by INTEL Corporation, India
- 1997 UGC Junior Research Fellowship (UGC-JRF) Eligibility for Lectureship in English, India
OTHER ACHIEVEMENTS AND AWARDS
- Assistant Director to a Film Production titled The Work of Art for Panhandle Productions at the University of Warwick, UK, 2006
- Awarded the Gaurav Chinha (Medal of Honour) by Charutar Vidya Mandal in 2004 for adapting and directing a one act play that was awarded the 3rd Prize in the National Inter University Youth Festival, India, 2003 - 04