dr. dhärä k. chotäi Profile
dr. dhärä k. chotäi
Centre for English Studies
School of Language, Literature & Culture studies
Central University of Gujarat
Gandhinagar – 382029
Email ID: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. (2017) in Comparative Literature, Central University of Gujarat, Gandhinagar, on “Literary Historiography in Gujarati in the Nineteenth Century: Issues in Ideology, Identity & Representation”.
- M.Phil. (2010) in English, Saurashtra University, Rajkot, on “Biography in Gujarati and Indian English Writing with Reference to Mahipatram R. Nilkanth’s Uttam Kapol Karsandās Mulji Caritra, Navalram L. Pandya’s Kavijivan, Thomas Edwards’ Henry Derozio: The Eurasian Poet, Teacher and Journalist and Ghulam Murshid’s Lured by Hope: A Biography of Michael Madhusudan Dutt.
- M.A (2004) in English, Department of English and Comparative Literary Studies, Saurashtra University, Rajkot.
- B.A (2002) in English, M.V.M. College, Rajkot, Saurashtra University, Rajkot.
- Completed DIPLOME D ETUDES EN LANGUE FRANCAISE DELF A1 (NIVEAU A1) FIRST LEVEL course in French Language from Alliance Francaise, Ahmedabad in February 2008.
- Completed CCC (Certificate in Computing Concept) from Babasaheb Ambedkar Open University in April 2007.
AREAS OF INTEREST:
- Life Writing
- Literary Historiography
- Colonial Studies
- Visual Studies
- Comparative Literature in India
- TEACHING : Total 12 Years
- RESEARCH: (2 Years) :Project Fellow in the UGC Special Assistance Programme on “The Indian Renaissance Literature with special reference to Gujarati, Hindi & English” at Department of English & CLS, Saurashtra University, Rajkot from the 2005 to 2007.
ACADEMIC HONOURS AND AWARDS:
- Awarded "Shri Yogendra Vinayakray Vasavada Smark Gold Medal" for securing highest number of marks in M.A. [English] examination of Saurashtra University held in May 2004.
- Awarded "Shri Barot Maniben Chhotalal Gold Medal" for securing highest number of marks in M.A. [English] examination of Saurashtra University held in May 2004.
- Awarded "Shri V. S. Raval Prize" for securing highest number of marks in M.A. [English] examination of Saurashtra University held in May, 2004.
- Mehta, Ranjitram Vavabhai. ‘Master Nandanprasad’ (2007). In Pre Independence Gujarati Short Stories, ed. Kamal Mehta and R B Zala, Creative Books: New Delhi.
- ‘Paging the life of a Prince of Young Bengal: Thomas Edwards’ Henry Derozio’ (2010).Critical Practice: A Journal of Critical and Literary Studies, (annual) Vol. XVII, Creative Books: New Delhi, pp. 117-128 (ISSN: 0972-4230)
- ‘Reconstructing the Life of a Poet of Unfulfilled and Renowned Hopes: Michael Madhusudan Dutt’ (2012). In Dr. Mukesh Bhesaniya (ed.) Critical essays on Indian Writing in English. Jaipur: Prism Books. (ISBN: 978-81-923203-5-9)
- ‘Augnismi Sadina Gujarati Charitra sahityana Ugam Bindue Karsandas Muljinu Jivancharitra’ (2013). Forbes, 78(1): 52-57. (ISSN 0559-9253)
- ‘From Dawn of Poesy to the Dusk of Being: Navalram Pandya’s Kavi Jivan‚, (2013). VNSGU Journal of Humanities & Social Sciences, vol. 4, no. 1, 57-65. (ISSN 0975-637X)
EXTENSION AND OUTREACH ACTIVITIES:
- Invited as Keynote speaker for a Workshop on Research Methodology to deliver a lecture on Literary Historiography by Department of Studies and Research in English, Rani Channamma University, Bijapur, Karnataka on 21 March 2018.
- Invited as the UGC Visiting Fellow under the UGC Visiting Fellow Scheme by the Department of English and CLS, Saurashtra University, Rajkot, for a period of one week, i.e. from 21st to 27 March 2015.
- Invited as Resource Person by Knowledge Consortium of Gujarat, Ahmedabad, and Gujarat Arts & Commerce College, Ahmedabad, to deliver a lecture on “Colonialism : Mask of Conquest by Gauri Vishwanathan” during a one week short Term Course on Research Methodology held from 16th to 22nd March 2015.
- Completed SAKSHAM – IT Champion Training Program Organized by Director, Education Advocacy, Microsoft, at the Central University of Gujarat, Gandhinagar from 8th to 14th September 2015.
SEMINAR/ WORKSHOP/CONFERENCE PAPER PRESENTATION & PARTICIPATION::
- Participated and presented a paper titled “Shifts in the Idea of ‘the Literary’: The Case of Lyric and its Reception” in a National Seminar on “Indian Modernities: Literature, Culture & Society” organized by Central University of Karnataka, Karnataka on 22 & 23 March, 2018.
- Participated and presentated a paper titled “Gandhi’s Time Binding as an Interface between Self-rule and Swaraj: A Perspective from Nineteenth Century” in a National Seminar on “Gandhi and Time-Binding: Interfaces Between Principles and Practice,” organized by Balvant Parekh Centre for General Semantics and Other Human Sciences in collaboration with the Institute of Policy Research and International Studies, M.S. University, Baroda on 23 & 24 January 2018 in Baroda.
- Participated and presented a paper titled‘Translation as an Apparatus of Colonial Ideology: The Case of the nineteenth Century Gujarati’ in the International Conference on “Theorizing [a] translation: Texts and Contexts” organized by the Department of English, Veer Narmad South Gujarat University, Surat, in collaboration with Forum on Contemporary Theory, Baroda, held on 9-10 February 2016.
- Participated and presented a paper titled ‘The Idea of Region and History: A. K. Forbes’ Ras Mala’ in the UGC International Conference on “Of the Indian: Literary Constructs and Responses – Late Nineteenth and Early Twentieth Century British Literary Works” organized by Department of English & CLS and its Alumni Association, Saurashtra University, Rajkot, held on 14, 15 & 16 March, 2015.
- Attended a two day National Workshop on “Research methodology and Academic Writing” organised by Information and Library Network (INFLIBNET) Centre, Gandhinagar , held on 29th & 30th January, 2015.
- Participated and presented a paper titled ‘Literary Historiography in Gujarati Literature: Theories & Frameworks’ in the four day The Tenth Biennial CLAI International Conference organized by School of Language, Literature & Culture Studies, Central University of Gujarat, in association with Comparative Literature Association of India (CLAI) on “Social Imagination in Comparative Perspective: Language, Cultures and Literatures” held on 3-6 March 2011.
- Participated and presented a paper titled ‘Biography & other cognate forms of Narrative Prose: A Comparative Studies’ in the three day International Conference organized by Department of English & Comparative Literary Studies, [Saurashtra University, Rajkot] , Comparative Literature Association of India (CLAI), CIIL & Sahitya Akademi, New Delhi on “Expanding Territories: Comparative Literature in the 21st Century”, held on 29, 30 & 31 March 2010.
- She has participated in several International and National Seminars/Conferences/Workshops.